Saturday, January 03, 2009

Happy New Year


Wow! It's been over three months since I last wrote anything. It has been a bittersweet few months. I'm beginning this new year with much optimism and a healthy outlook.

Most of you who know me and follow this blog (if there's anyone left out there), know that Jessica Kaylor, my friend Janette's niece, passed away in October from breast cancer. Jessica and her aunts have kind of been like "Blog" friends, long distance from Texas. It was quite a tragedy for me when she passed away as she had a deep impact on me and my diagnosis. I understand she was diagnosed at stage 4, and I at stage 2, but I still felt a "sisterhood" as we were both diagnosed within a few weeks of each other. Life is unexpected and turns on a dime. Who's to say when it's your turn to go. Live every day to the fullest.

New Year's eve I found out that my friend Kristi, (my sister-in-laws sister) had a PET scan as a follow-up to her treatments and there are spots on her lung and lymphnodes. She had breast cancer (Stage 3) before I was diagnosed and had surgery, chemo, and the works. Now after years of remission, it seems to be back, now in other places. She also has 3 children my kids ages.

Are you sick of hearing about all this? I am. That's why I can't just sit and do nothing. That's why I started Community Cares. That's why I am trying to do my small part to help.

This past year I was able to help about 10 mom's dealing with cancer treatments or other type disease by providing their families with meals, laundry or cleaning. That's 10 moms, 10 dads, and about 23 children.

I was able to get about 19 business sponsors some of which are: In Putnam - Club Fit, Chili's, Dantes, Four Brothers, Ye Old Lantern, Fratelli's, Arturo's, Bucci Brothers, Dish, Charlotte Berwin Fine Foods, and Stahly's Deli, in Poughkeepsie - Chili's, Olive Garden and Bagaboo Creek and the list goes on...

I did all this with the help of all my volunteers. They all deserve a huge thank you and "pat on the back": Tracey, Joanne, Cheryl, Belle, Lisa, Sandra, Ann, and Karen. There are so many others to thank! And the list goes on...

I am humbled by the amount of donations that Community Cares has received. People putting their hard earned money up for a good cause, one I believe so strongly in. Each time I get a donation, it solidifies my resolve and says, "Yes, I believe in what you are doing, too!"

I had two fundraisers at Chili's, who have been WONDERFUL, and a great support for this cause. I need to thank Janette Yetter for her help with the Pancake Breakfast! I couldn't have done it without you!!

I was also honored to receive a nomination from the Cornell Cooperative Extension for the volunteer award ceremony they have at Guideposts. I was very humbled and honored to be recognized amongst so many here in Putnam County.

This past year has been a learning experience in the midst of the chaos of raising 3 children and caring for a wonderful husband. I feel like I'm holding on by the skin of my teeth, and it's quite a ride. "Thank you, Lord for another wonderful year!" and the best is yet to come!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amy,

We are all happy to be on the 'ride' with you. Congratulations on your nomination- especially in your first year, well deserved.

Love you!
Janette

Anonymous said...

Not sure if you get notified when postings appear - surprise! I was just reading over your posts again - laughing and crying. What a journey Amy Sayegh! Love you lots!
j

Cameron VSJ said...

Hi,

I have a quick question about your blog, would you mind emailing me when you get a chance?

Thanks,

Cameron