Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Die Fred, Die!!!

Well, I went to chemo again yesterday. ... With my friend Elizabeth. Those of you who don't know, Elizabeth was diagnosed with non-Hodgkins lymphoma within the past month. She started chemo on Tuesday, and I along with her mother, accompanied her on her first day. She has 6 total treatments. The goal is to kill Fred (she named her tumor). You must check you her blog at EJBauerlein.blogspot.com. I got to hear cute stories about Elizabeth, and all the grey hairs she gave her mom. About the time she lacerated her liver at a church picnic, when she got lost in the woods when she was about 2 or 3 and they found her walking down the middle of the street, when she had a tea party on the top of a camper, etc. I couldn't help but think about my own children.

We camped out for the day. Her treatment lasted for about 5 hours. Turns out, Elizabeth is doing 2 of the same chemo drugs I did. I finished chemo last August, but it is amazing what you forget, or maybe you just block it out. Unfortunately, Elizabeth now becomes a member of the chemo sisterhood. I hope I can help her in some way. I would love to make it easier for her, but unfortunately, it's something you have to go through yourself.

Elizabeth is not mushy, but I am. I will publish the mushy parts on my blog. For all you mother's out there, say a special prayer for those with sick children. Even if those children are 27, 30, or 41. This one's for you Judy, Mil, Mom... It is hard for a mother to see her child have to go through something like this. That was the only time yesterday during the treatment when tears were shed. Elizabeth's mom, Mil, had to watch as her daughter was hooked up to chemo drugs to kill "Fred" hiding in her neck. Mil said she would go through this instead of her in a heartbeat. I understand that totally. I have said all along that I would rather go through this than any of my kids. It must be painful to watch your child struggle with an illness like cancer. Hats off to you mom, you are my strength; hats off to you, Mil, you will get through this, too. Just think, next year at this time Fred will be long gone, and Elizabeth with have yet another cute hairstyle.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

So Again I'm crying. But it's good to let it out. You were such a source of information, comfort and calmness for me at Elizabeth's chemo treatment. I so admired the Grace and strength that you showed all of the last year. Elizabeth is dealing with her cancer with her humor. I am so amazed at you both. When will we lick this thing called cancer? None of our children should have to suffer this disease. Love you. Mil

Anonymous said...

Amy,
Wow, once again. I agree about the mom thing. I always tell Judy, Jessica's mom, that it is tough enough going through her experience as an Aunt (cousin), but I can't imagine going through it as her mom. I am proud to call her my sister. Yes, God bless you all!
Love, Janette

Amy Sayegh said...

I feel like such a BOOB (see ejbauerlein.blogspot.com). I wrote the blog thinking of Jessica's mom, Judy, but wrote Sandy. I will make the correction. The mom's are often sitting in the shadows, but it is harder for them I think. God Bless.

Anonymous said...

Don't worry Amy, Jessica is our very first niece, she is like a daughter to all of us (except maybe a little sister to me, since I am the youngest {smile}, but you are correct, there is nothing like that mother-child bond.

Have a great day.

katrina said...

Amy,
I just mustered up the courage to read your blog about Elizabeth's chemo.

You are a woman of such strength and conviction it is easy to see how you have remained so steadfast through your entire ordeal.

Thank you for being there for Elizabeth. And for my mom. And for us all. I guess that is what family is for! If you need anything, please do not hesitate to ask.

Love,
Katrina

Anonymous said...

Ah, yes, a little humor in your opening line.........

Health & blessings,
Susan