Saturday, June 03, 2006

I got a call tonight, Friday at 6:00, from my oncologist. Not the time you want to hear from an oncologist. Anything they say to you always requires worry and follow-up. She said she was concerned about the inflamation showing up 7 months after radiation - my concerns also. I didn't have any inflamation on the CT scan 2 months after radiation, why would it show up 7 months after radiation. She said I need to see my surgeon.

Tomorrow is the Relay for Life to benefit the American Cancer Society. Should be another moving ceremony. It is always overwhelming to see all those names on all those luminaries. My friend, Cathy is cutting the opening ribbon for the walk. She was diagnosed with breast cancer about 4 months before me. We are all sisters in this battle. Wish me luck! I'll be walking for all the survivors who helped me in my treatment and recovery. Thanks Jessica, Kristi, Patti, Andrea, Carol, Diane, Cathy, and everyone who shared their story with me and gave me hope and healing. We really help each other. Thanks!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amy,
I remember when Ryan was one years old and I received a call from the pediatrician's office at 8:00 pm saying 'his white cells are up, we need to do more blood work'. Everything was ok (Thank God!) but your mind starts turning with the 'what ifs'.

I think, at least for me, when it gets closer to the Relay, my mind starts turning, aches become more noticable and the 'what ifs' escalate, but when I get there and see those purple survivor shirts, and thousands of luminaries lit up in honor of those that have survived, and those that we have lost, I feel proud to be part of this event, no matter how difficult it is emotionally to go through, because hopefully I am doing something to help make one less shirt next year because a treatment was found, or for that purple shirt, life was somehow a little easier.

Short answer, we are there with you and looking forward to cheering you on, rain or shine, through your journey.

Love always,
Janette

Anonymous said...

I don't know what to say. I know the churning inside that you must have, but as I mentioned at the RFL, it may be scar tissue. Make that appointment with the surgeon NOW, and if you want company, I'll gladly come along. (I'm real good with notes and questions). You're oncologist is just being cautious....and that's a good thing. Love you, Mil

katrina said...

Ditto to what everyone else has written. Go see your doctor as soon as possible so you can get back to living your life without the worries of "what if."

And take my mom with you. She's very good at what she does. :)

Anonymous said...

HI Amy,

Good luck this afternoon. I will be thinking of you.

Janette

Anonymous said...

Me too, Amy. Be sure to let all of us reading this get the news.
We've been anxiously waiting since
June 3. Love, Diane