Thursday, September 14, 2006

Oncologist Visit

It's been a while since my last post. Busy with school and scheduling, church and activities. Now the doctor's appointments are starting again. I had a visit with my oncologist Tuesday. The usual visit, exam, draw blood. At the end of our visit I half-heartedly asked if the Tamoxifen I am taking causes joint aches because I feel like a 90 year old women. She got a "look" on her face and asked to nurse to take more blood. Then she wrote a prescription for a bone scan. She mentioned it could be bone disease or arthritis or possibly my chron's disease. So off I go for another bone scan. If you have never done one (and why would you), I start off with an injection of radioactive materials, then wait for 3 hours for my body to light up like a Christmas tree. Then I lie on a metal table for 3 hours while the machine scans all my bones. I just have to lay still for 3 hours on a table. Can't wait. I think oncologist's just look for ways to torture their patients.

While in the waiting room I came across "Survivor Magazine" with Lance Armstrong on the cover. It talked about being tired all the time, that it is a long-term effect of chemo. I was wondering when I was going to get my energy back. You are kind of embarassed when you are so tired and blame it on chemo. I finished my chemo a year ago. I should be done with all the side-effects by now. Well, I don't feel so foolish now. Another relevation, the treatment of cancer is not done when the chemo and radiation is over. I think then you need to work on your spirit - something I need to address in the coming months.

I am up for my yearly mamo/MRI also. I will get the combo every year since the mamo didn't pick-up the tumor the first time. As you may recall, I found the tumor myself four months after a mamogram. REMINDER: Do your monthly self breast exams!! If I hadn't found it myself, I may not have noticed until my next mamogram in another 9 months. Who knows what may have happened.

This October 1st is the annual Support Connection Walk at FDR Park. The Support Connection helps women who have been diagnosed with breast or ovarian cancer. It's a fantastic event. I encourage everyone to attend or at least donate. The money goes right into programs that directly benefit our community and women, mothers, sisters, grandmothers, aunts and friends. I am one person who was helped by the Support Connection. Go to their web site and check it out. I have included a link on the right side of this blog. Attend the walk, you won't be sorry.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Welcome back, and where did the summer go? Remember telling Elizabeth not to tell the doctor anything extra (which resulted in her x-ray), now look at you! If you need someone to wait the six hours with you, let me know.

I have the Support Connection walk on my calendar, I with you again this year!! Anyone else....

All my love,
Janette

p.s. You looked great on Sunday!