Monday, September 19, 2005

More on Radiation...

Wow! I haven't posted a comment for a while! Rest assured I'm doing fine. I am so busy with this radiation and 3 children in 3 different schools. On top of that, I'm tired all the time. My radiation should end October 21st. So just one more month of this torture. My skin is holding up just fine. So far, so good.

I did have one "Uh Oh" moment last Thursday. When they line you up and position you on the table before they treat you they dot the tattoos they gave me to make sure they see them when aligning me up with the machine. I usually leave with five black marker dots on my skin. Before I leave, I usually try to remove the dots so I don't go walking around with dots on me. Last week when I was taking off the marker after my treatment, I noticed that they "dotted" a freckle instead of the tattoo. I brought it up to the tech immediately, and she assured me I am fine, and they lined me up properly from the other tattoos. I don't feel assured, and will ask the doctor on my next visit. Obviously, I can't do anything about it now, but I just want to know. I don't think they will be dotting any more freckles.

About radiation: it doesn't hurt, it's just like getting an x-ray. After a while your skin starts to react and brown and then burn (just like being in the sun). I get actual x-rays once a week, and visit the doctor once a week. I get the treatment every day Monday thru Friday. The longest part of the treatment is getting positioned to make sure they radiate the same spot each day, radiating as little of the heart, lungs, or ribs as possible. The actual treatment is about 4 minutes. Everyone is so nice, and I'm in and out pretty quick.

At this point in my treatment, I'm just getting tired of everything. I can't wait to get back to normal, if that's possible. My feet still bother me from the chemo (Taxol). My left foot hurts and feels like it's asleep a lot - something I guess I'll have to bring up to the oncologist. I wonder if you ever really get back to normal or if that's just in the past now. I guess maybe a new "normal". I'm spacing out my doctor's appointments now. Nothing is "life-threatening" (thank the Lord), so I can plan my appointments so I don't have an appointment every day.

FYI, I got an e-mail from the American Cancer Society and they said they are busy getting people affected by Katrina help and treatments elsewhere. That was one of the things I was concerned about, and I get an e-mail about it. If you donate to the American Cancer Society, you can see where the money goes. Check out their web-site at cancer.org, they should have more on their hurricane efforts if you are interested.

Also, I am participating in the Support Connection walk here in NY on October 2. They are the ones who I called when I was diagnosed and I spoke to a few really nice people in the same position as I. It was nice to talk to someone. They gave me lots of info and made me feel like I'm not alone. They offer lots of services to women diagnosed with breast and ovarian cancer. Let me know if you want to sponser or donate. I'm participating because they helped me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sign me up to help you with your walk. A step at a time and a dollar at a time will beat this awful thing.
I don't think I can ever have radiation...WAY too many freckles!
Take care and don't forget to laugh.
Jacque

Anonymous said...

For those that would like to support Amy in her walk on Sunday, the information is:

Support Connection
360 Underhill Avenue
Yorktown Heights, NY 10598
914 962-1962 fax
914 962-6402 phone

Make sure you note it is in support of Amy Sayegh.

Looking forward to it!
Janette