Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Here is a card I loved that my friend Kristin sent me, I had to share it with you:
A Coping Poem
"Into each life some rain must fall," Some brilliant person said.

Too bad that person's not here now-- I'd hit him on the head!
It isn't very comforting to know that life is hard,
But I want to let you know I care --
That's why I bought you this card.

I love that. It came in the mail and made me smile just when I needed it. Everything makes me cry, too. I was reading one of the drug card fact sheets and a side effect is mood changes. The card came on one of my weepy days, so a smile was just what I needed. Thanks Kristin.

Last week I was overly tired. It was hard to get moving. I wasn't going to do anything on my birthday because John was working, but Elizbeth came over and said "We're taking you out, and we already have the babysitter covered." How could I resist. Elizabeth, Carol, Janette, Marta, Susan, Lynn, and Christine took me out to dinner. It was so nice to sit on the lake and hang out with the girls. Thank you, thank you, thank you, Ladies!! Janette, you are next!!! (We missed you Kristin.) We definately need to do that more often.

John's birthday present for me was supposed to be a convertible for the summer, but the deal didn't happen, so he got me a portable DVD so I can watch movies during my treatments. That will really come in handy now that my treatments are going to be about 4 hours long now.

I have really been tired and I have another sore throat. I went in on Friday so they could get a throat culture and a blood sample. Turns out my red blood count is low (not the white) and I am going to get another shot for that so it doesn't fall below a certain level. The nurse said if it gets real low I would need a blood transfusion. I'll take the shot!! At least I now know why I've been so overly tired. It also turns out that I have another bacterial infection called H-flu. I am on more antibiotics. I must pick up every bug that floats by my face. My kids are all healthy and no one I know of has been sick. There's always something!!!

Tomorrow is my next treatment. It will be number 5 of 8. I start a new drug called Taxol. Taxol takes about 3 hours, but before I get an IV of Benedryl to help eliminate any allergic reations. Tonight and tomorrow morning I take a steriod. The doctor keeps saying that this is not as bad as the previous drugs. I hope so. I've spoken to other people and they say the worst part was numbness in the fingers and toes. Oh goody. Sounds great.

My sister-in-law, Anne Marie is going with me. We'll watch movies and have lunch and be home by 4:00. Anne Marie's 4 kids and my 3 will all be at my house with my mother-in-law for the day, so be praying for her!

Sue Citerella, a friend from St. John's Playgroup, sent around a letter, so now I have people from St. John's bringing dinner for me. We live in such a great community. Everyone pulls together to help. The dinner's really help, especially because I'm so tired. I'm wiped out by the end of the day. Even shopping wipes me out. I think dinner is covered for this week of my treatment. Thank you everyone!!! I'm lucky I get to see first hand how great people are.

I'll keep you posted on this next treatment. I'm not sure what to expect yet. I'll let you know!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Girl!

I don't know for whom to pray more for...you or your mother-in-law! Seriously, I pray for you every day. Just think, it's almost over!
Watch something funny tomorrow.

Carol

Anonymous said...

Hi Amy,

We missed hearing from you, but totally understand how tired you have been. Keep up the good spirits. Dinner was great the other day. I don't even think the 'C' word came up in conversation. We have to do it again soon.

Thinking of you!
Janette

Anonymous said...

Hi Amy,
I'm reading this "long distance" with your Aunt Diane on the other line - I have you on my prayer list and I've sent your blog to my sister (Jamie) in Dallas - she is a two year survivor and had much the same situation as you have.
Take care - Look Up - God Bless
Valerie Aliso Viejo, Ca

Anonymous said...

Hi Amy - I'm also reading this long distance: Bethlehem. I prayed for you at the Church of the Nativity yesterday. Tomorrow it's going to be that slip of paper in the Wailing Wall. I'm hoping that your sore throat is gone and that you're feeling a bit better. I'm also glad you have the support community that you do. Pastor

Anonymous said...

Amy,
Hi, this is Valerie's sister Jamie. Happy 4th of July! I want to tell you that there is a wonderful life after cancer and treatment. I am living it right now. I was diagnosed in Oct 2003. Chemo (8 treatments) and radiation which ended last July 2004.

Life is good and each day it gets better! Trust me when I say that you will recover. Give yourself time to heal. Our bodies are quite amazing when you think about what we do to them.

I know for me a strong faith and many prayers from all over helped me to get through it all.

Good luck and I will keep you in my prayers. Your Aunt Diane is a special person!!!

Jamie