Wednesday, May 25, 2005

In Memory of My Dear Aunt Freda!!!

Good morning! Well, "Good middle of the night!" It's one of those sleepless nights - a million thoughts zooming around and where else shall I vocalize them but to you all! I am getting back to normal again after my last treatment. It seems that I feel wiped out for a week after, and then I pick myself up again for the next week, just in time to get another treatment. Wednesday is one week after, so I'm doing great. I felt a little tired today, (yesterday?), but found time to rest.

This last treatment was true to it's reputation - hair is falling all over. I've been trying to get the kids ready for this because that's what they will really see every day, and I don't want them feeling scared or anything. They are fine with it. I've been trying to get my hair hats (wigs) lined up and ready to go. I brought one home today that I work out in that's just kind of fun. I wear it with a hat. When Alex (my baby, age 3) saw it his whole face lit up and he said, "It's back, your long hair!" He was so excited. He misses my long hair. I got it cut short last fall. He's happy now. The kids have been great. We all wear our hats around the house, and the girls look really cute in hats.

We went out for dinner tonight and sat in the middle round table of a small restraunt full of people (Gino's in Mahopac). I wore my new long hair with a hat. I was feeling a little apprehensive being my first outing with new hair. After dinner the kids were restless (kids can only sit so long) and Alex and Sophia were both on me. Sophia loves hair. Sophia was stroking my hair, and I'm afraid she'll yank it off, and Alex is saying, loudly, "Mommy, is that your wig?! Mommy is that your wig?! " He didn't understand "Be quiet", and wouldn't let up until he got an answer. I'm just trying to quiet him down, but he needed to know, and now I guess so did everyone else in the restraunt.

So don't be surprized if you see me walking around with a blonde wig hanging half on my head or over my eyes. It's just my children's enthusiasm and part of being a mom on chemo. I like to call it my "Aunt Freda hair" in honor of my great aunt Freda!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Remember, rub the top of your head for good luck!
janette