Tuesday, May 24, 2005

The Peace that Passes Understanding

Prayer request: Phil 4:6 Don't fret about anything but by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, continue to make your request to God. And God's peace, which trenscends all understanding will guard your heart and mind.

Everyone always asks me how I am doing and I usually say, "I'm doing great!" or"Just a little tired, but so far, so good!" As long as I can get a nap in, I'm doing just fine. A few people have commented about how strong I am, or how positive I am, or that something has to be wrong, or I'm just trying to put on a strong facade. If you think I'm strong, I can take none of the credit. My Lord has been carrying me the whole time! My aunt Julie (my age), from Minnesota sent me a book that I just love! It was written by someone from her church who also fought breast cancer. The book is called GRACE FOR EACH HOUR, by Mary J. Nelson. Here is an excerpt from her book that I wish I would have written myself - it is so perfect.

"As I opened my eyes in the recovery room, I could barely make out the face of the surgeon who had removed the cancerous lump from my breast. She tenderly reported the bad news. They found cancer in two lymph nodes under my arm. This unforeseen setback would add five months of chemotherapy to the six weeks of radiation treatments I had opted for instead of total removal of the breast.

This was not the news we wanted to hear, not the news we'd hoped and prayed for. But I went into surgery lifted by the prayers of an army of the faithful and righteous. Family and friends, prayer ministers from my church community, and people I'd never even met all covered me with prayer. They sent prayers in cards and letters. They e-mailed prayer. They called me and prayed with me over the phone. I was so lifted by prayer and filled with the Holy Spirit that with the bad news that day came and indescribable calmness... a peace far more wonderful than my human mind could understand (Philippians 4:6-7). Their prayers continued throughout my entire treatment. When my doctors, friends, and family commented on my "positive attitude," I knew it wasn't me. It was the peace and contentment of Christ showing through in answer to their prayers. It was Jesus who carried me safely through the valley in His arms and lifted me high above my physical circumstances. "

I can't do this alone. It is only with my husband, family and friends faithfully praying and lifting my name before God that I am making my way through this. Just keep in mind that I do get down, and I am tired, and I have been sick to my stomach, but life is so good! I have many blessings in my life! Maybe reality hasn't sunk in yet. Yes, it does, bit by bit, but that's where prayer helps. I need that peace that passes understanding more than ever in my life. And it has more meaning to me than ever before. I never understood that song from Bible school when I was a child "I've got the peace that passes understanding down in my heart! Where? Down in my heart! Where? Down in my heart!" Boy do I get it now!! It is peaceful and serenene and healing right when you need it!
Phil 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Amy,
Everyone missed you not posting for a week, but this posting sure makes up for it!! So beautiful, thanks for sharing.
Thinking of you.
Janette

Anonymous said...

Hi Amy,

Mark and I are logging in and seeing what you have to say today. Like Janette we missed hearing from you this week. Thanks to Aunt Julie for sending such a great book. It seems much more personal when it's written by a real person that some one close to you knows. Phil even said he was going to put you on his prayer chain (interesting, huh?) You're on many chains in the Omaha area. Our family Sunday School class prays for you every Sunday too.

We love you,

Mark and Robin

Anonymous said...

Hej, Amy!
It was great to hear from you again altough we now know for sure that you're recovering from breastcancer. I talked to mum, how is working with patients simular to you and she explained a little more what's happening to you. We all hope for a good result and a good recovery. I miss you all a lot, mostly the kids. I wish I could come an visit you soon.
I just want you to know that we're thinking of you and you're in our prayers every day.
Love you.
Stora Kramar from
Birgitta in Sweden